Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Review: Base Instincts by Larissa Ione

Base Instincts (Demonica #11.7) by Larrissa Ione
Riptide Publishing
Novella: 150pgs

4 Pants Off

Blurb: As a Seminus demon, Raze’s life literally depends on having sex with females. The problem is that he doesn’t desire females, and it’s physically impossible for him to be with males. Thankfully, he and his best friend, Fayle, have an arrangement that keeps him alive . . . if lonely. He finds some solace in his work as a medic at Thirst, a vampire club known for its rough clientele. But his carefully structured world turns upside down when he meets a mysterious male who makes him want what he can never have.   

Slake is an assassin used to getting what he wants, and what he wants is Raze. But he also wants to earn back the soul he sold when he was a much different demon. All he has to do is capture a runaway succubus named Fayle and hand her over to her family. What he doesn’t count on is being caught himself by a web of lies—and his attraction to Raze. 

Raze and Slake must navigate a dangerous world to be together. But as Fayle’s jealousy of their relationship turns deadly, they find themselves embroiled in a battle not only for their love, but their lives and souls.

Review

Yasssss! Like I am feeling pompous as feck. Like Mycroft Holmes pompous with his umbrella and shit. I've waited years for Larissa Ione to write M/M. As a huge fan of her Demonica series, I saw the potential in spades. Most of the series is filled with so much homoerotic content I damn near combusted. All I can say is “Don't let your dreams become dreams” because my dreams came true and I got my gay seminus demon and a little cameo from my undercover gay Wraith.   

 Raze is a Seminus demon and needs sex to survive. That's causes a problem because he's gay and a Sem demon can only get completion with a female. So his sexual urges create a problem. Luckily he has an understanding with his best friend Fayla; no emotions involved she's just there to get him off. Though she can be pain in the ass with her jealousy and trying to control him. Shit hits the proverbial fan when Raze sees a male that sets his pants on fire. It's the first time he's ever wanted someone so bad, and it hurts all the more because he can never have what he truly want. Sex with a male is no go. He’ll just end up in serious pain and have to find Fayle. So he nips those feelings in the bud as soon as they appear. When Frayla decides it's time to move on Raze can't bring himself to go, he's finally found a place he wants to be, at the cost of losing the female who keeps him alive.    

Slake is an assassin, and he's damn good at his job. His latest job is the most important of his career because if he fails he loses his soul forever. Failing is not an option. When a hot meeting with a guy at a club brings him closer to his target, his assignment could either go well or really bad meaning his soul will forever be lost to him. He never anticipated catching feelings and getting a conscience after so many years. The last things he wants to do is deceive Raze because there is more than just lust between the two.   

So…I don't want to give the story away, but I love what Ms. Ione did for Slake and Raze to be together. I like the fluidity of his species and that information made Slake an even more intriguing character. I'm a little disappointed because I don't feel these men got the story they deserve. Slake needed more; Raze needed more, and the tidbits to their life only infuriated me because I wanted the whole goddamn picture.    

What saved the story is the author is excellent at world-building, and her writing is super Amazing. I am a huge fan of the Demonica series and reading this just gave me feels. Even my feels had feels. Ms. Ione did something special here, but 150pgs wasn't enough to get that across. There is so much I want to talk about, but as I said I don't want to give too much away but what Slake species of demon is. I think it's something to be celebrated. You take away the paranormal aspect of it, and it becomes something to talk about.   

Overall, though, I loved the hell out of this story. I am feeling like the popped collars on Sherlock’s coat (legit). I've waited on this for years, and while I wanted more, I still feel satisfied. Raze and Slake did it for me, and while they needed more, I never doubted they wanted each other. As of now I am putting in my request for a 400pg book with a long lost brother of my Sem bros and he's totally gay because I can't get enough of these guys. 

You can check out my reviews for the books in the series:
Pleasure Unbound
Desire Unchained
Passion Unleashed
Ecstasy Unveiled
Sin Undone


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!