Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: Lead Me Into Darkness by Various Authors

Lead Me into Darknes by Various Authors
Novella: 174pgs
Buy Links: ARe, Kobo, B&N
3.75 Pants Off

Blurb:
Lead Me Into Darkness: Five Halloween Tales of Paranormal Romance 

 All-Hallows-Eve brings out the wicked in even the most reserved among us… and the lure of romance is the keenest incentive to follow a beloved into the unknown. Lead Me Into Darkness is a compilation of original tales of queer paranormal romance by five of the hottest authors of contemporary romance.  
  

Take You Farther by Santino Hassell Brian Watts' boyfriend is a newly turned vampire, and he's shouldering the blame. Watts would do anything--including offering up a vein, stripping for cash, and demanding answers from other creatures of the night--to redeem himself and save the man he loves. 
  
 Memory Hill by J.C. Lillis Billy Hartigan's been dead for ten years, and it's really pissing him off. Stuck in Memory Hill Cemetery due to "unfinished business," he fritters away the long days playing monster movies in his head, reliving the glory days of his indie band, and mourning his missed chance at love with his best friend. Then one Halloween he gets a visit from troubled teen geek Todd Racklin, the last living fan of Billy's old band. Todd needs some beyond-the-grave help from his idol--and his visits might hold the key to Billy's release from Memory Hill. 
  
 Grave Circumstances by J.R. Gray Secret agendas collide with guns, ghosts and confusing erections, on a tour through a haunted graveyard. Jesse's been carrying a secret and needs a night alone with George. But George has his own agenda, leading Jesse into darkness, the fright of his life, and a blinding release he won't soon forget.  
Boyfriends in the Boneyard by Kris Ripper In a perfect world, Truman Jennings would be spending Halloween with both his husband and his boyfriend; alas, in this one he's on a ghost tour with his husband, and his boyfriend is probably watching scary movies and eating pizza rolls.
   
 The cemetery is appropriately creepy, their tour guide weaves a good yarn, and Hugh's in a very odd (but utterly delightful) mood. When Hugh leads him away from the group Truman doesn't know what to think, but considering his husband's filthy, kinky mind, he's more than willing to find out.   

As usual, Hugh has both tricks and treats up his sleeve.   

Mayfair by Roan Parrish Jocelyn has been secretly in love with her best friend Bethany for a year. And it's hell. But there are other things—dark, creeping, illusory things—that are tormenting Jocelyn even more. They've been appearing more and more lately and Jocelyn is starting to doubt her sanity. But a Devil's Night ritual in a Detroit cemetery may reveal more than she ever imagined… 

Review

Take You Farther by Santino Hassel  
This story cannot be read as a standalone. I was a little-lost reading it, but the benefit now is that I am very interested in reading Stygian. Like this story filled me with so many questions. How did Quincy become a vampire? Why is his ass so moody? Why is Watts wearing such tiny shorts? So many questions to be answered. I do like the flow of the author’s writing, and I am going to be checking out Mr. Hassels work in the future.  

 Memory Hill by J.C Lillis  
I am in love with this story. I’m talking bout balls, deep in love. I've been waiting a long time to read something new by J.C; she's an author that pulls you into her craft. This story is no exception. From the get-go you know this is going to be an emotional one. Billy Hartigan's character is endearing, morbid without being depressing. He's funny, and the fact that he's a dead guy just pulls on your heartstrings. Bring Todd into the mix and the two are just so…touching. By the end of the story, I was in tears and filled with regret. Like sometimes you have to take chances and deal with what comes after because if you never try then you'll never know. That's how this story made me feel. A wonderful read!   

Grave Circumstances by J.R Gray  
 I was so confused by this story. I had no idea what was happening and why it was happening. Seriously, it's a choppy story with equally choppy characters. I made no connections and was just overall dissatisfied with what happening. The D/s relationship had something going, but all that got lost in the crazy. Like the character Jesse, I had no idea what was going on. Lost!   

Boyfriends in the Boneyard by Kris Ripper  
This story featured an already established ménage and from what I understand they also have their own story. Surprisingly, I didn't feel like I was missing anything and if anything I am lot interested in how the guys became a 3some. Romping in a cemetery while dressed as Anna is the stuff of dreams. Liked this one.   

Mayfair by Roan Parrish  
This story is most definitely the spookiest of the bunch. This is my first reading Roan Parrish ad I want to read more. I fell in love with the author's prose. My second fave story in the Antho and it pulled it all together. Where the other stories were lacking in creeps and scares, this brought something a little different. Jocelyn as a character is interesting, and I fell in love with her voice. I'm a little confused at the ending there, but it does leave you questioning what exactly is real or fake or is Jocelyn just experiencing illusions all the time. Quite nice!   

While this Antho didn't blow me away, I did enjoy two stories and got interested in a couple of others. I feel like you have to be aware of the already established couples in a few of the stories, and I wish I had known that before I began reading. Wanted more spook but overall it was an alright read. J.C Lillis brought the pain for this one and for that alone I'm glad I read the anthology.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!