Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: for Men Like Us by Brita Addams

for Men Like Us by Brita Addams
Dreamspinner Press
Novel: 186pgs
3 Pants Off

Blurb:
After his lover dies trying to lend him aid at Salamanca, hopelessness becomes Preston Meacham's only way of life. Despite his best efforts and with no pride left, he sells himself for a pittance at a molly house, the mindless sex giving him his only respite from the horrors he witnessed.

The Napoleonic War left Benedict Wilmot haunted by the horrific acts he's forced to commit, as well as torture at the hands of a homophobic superior. As the battle rages around him, a weak and beaten Ben is ordered to kill a fellow redcoat, else face a ghastly death himself. Even in his dreams, he can't escape the memory of the man he killed.

When their paths cross, Ben feels an overwhelming need to protect Preston from his dangerous profession, because, as he explains, "The streets are dangerous for men like us.


Review:
I was really hoping to like this one more, but it just turned out to be an all right read. It felt as if I was reading a play, the dialogue was robotic and I felt no connection between the MCs. I love historical M/M romances, just did not enjoy this as much as I hoped. Awesome cover though!

Preston Meacham has things he would very much like to forget, and so he uses mindless sex as escapism. After being dismissed from his job, he later finds work in a molly house. The strangers who pay for his body mean nothing to him and that’s how he likes it. He can get lost in his mind and reminisce about a love lost. Benedict Wilmot has ghosts that haunt him, he is unable to get away from the guilt he feels about what happened in Salamanca a guilt that has everything to do with Preston. Ben goes to Preston with the intention of righting his wrongs but he can’t deny the pull of the beautiful man so they begin a relationship. Soon that of a man and his whore starts to evolve into something else, but Ben has secrets and it will cost him everything.

The story had a nice set up but I had a hard time getting into the characters. I felt like I was reading about the same two people I met at the beginning of the story until the end. I guess I just felt very "blah" about the overall plot, and then it had a neat predictable HEA. I had it called from the beginning that Ben was mistaken about everything, gosh do I hate being right.

What I did enjoy is that Preston didn't need saving and he's not apologetic about what he had to do to make a living. I love a whore with attitude. I thought the BDSM would have been a main focus of sex between Preston and Ben, but the kink was mild and really ties into the story quite well. It was kink with a meaning.

Overall, it was an ok read for me. I was excited but just made no connection to the characters or the story. This was my first book by Brita Addams and I will not be ruling the author out. I liked the writing style and enjoyed the pacing. Primarily my reaction is just all from the story and characters, felt like I read it before.

3 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!