Friday, February 1, 2013

Review: My Roommate's A Jock, Well Crap by Wade Kelly

My Roommate's A Jock, Well Crap by Wade Kelly
Dreamspinner Press
Novel: 262pgs
3.5 Pants Off

Blurb:
It's easy to become cynical when life never goes your way.

Cole Reid has been a social recluse since he was fifteen, when he was outed by his high school baseball team. Since then, his obsessive-compulsive behavior and sarcastic nature have driven away most of the population, and everyone else hates him because he's gay. As he sees it, he's bound to repulse any prospective friends, let alone boyfriends, so why bother?

By the time Cole enters college, he's become an anal-retentive loner—but it's not a problem until his roommate graduates and the housing department assigns Ellis Montgomery to move in with Cole. Ellis is messy, gorgeous, straight, and worst of all, a "jock"!

During a school year filled with frat buddies, camping expeditions, and meddling parents, Cole and Ellis develop a friendship that turns Cole's glass-half-empty outlook on its head. There must be more to Ellis than a fun-loving jock—and maybe Cole's reawakening libido has rekindled his hope for more than camaraderie.


Review:
I wanted to read this one because of the title, plus I am a sucker for a nerd/jock romance. I have a book by Wade Kelly but it seemed like an emotional bummer, so I've been putting off reading it. This fun title sounded like something right up my alley so I jumped at the opportunity to read it. There is mixed feelings on this one, a part of me really liked it and another part of me wants to kick its ass.

Cole Reid has just lost his roommate and friend on campus. Now he has an empty room, and must find another roommate but he just wants the old one back. Because Jon was his friend, and now he has start over with some stranger. Finding his own roommate was a bust, so housing has no choice but to provide one. Cole only hopes they don't give him a Jock cus he's got bad experiences with jocks. When Ellis shows up at the apartment, 2 things become clear: 1 he's ridiculously good looking and 2 he's such a total jock.

Cole suffers from a bit of OCD, and a fear of people. Ellis comes in with his group of friends, making a mess, and getting Cole all hot and bothered. Keeping his attraction to himself is becoming hard because Ellis wants to be friends. A little accident has Ellis realizing how close Cole really wants to get with him, and then panic ensues.

As I said, I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked the progression of Ellis and Cole's relationship, I liked their friends (well most of the time) and they had semi-hot sex scenes. What irked me something fierce is the switch of POVs from random characters, I 100% did not like any of it. There was this weirdness from Ellis's mom, then that bad case of awkward from their homophobic friend and eye rolls numerous came out in full effect. Random flashbacks also added to my ire, and really took away from the story.

Overall, I am on the fence but it kept me entertained and I wanted to keep reading so that is a plus. If you take out some of those unnecessary povs and made the book a tad bit shorter, I think it would be a great read. Alas, I liked it and loved Cole's fun t-shirts.

3.5 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!