Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Review: Sonata by A.F Henley

Sonata by A.F Henley
Less Than 3 Press
Novel
4 Pants Off

Blurb:
At thirty-six Ian feels done with the world. When a night at a bar goes as poorly as expected, he wants only to return home to be miserable in peace. Instead, he encounters Jordan. Hot, young and interested, Jordan is everything Ian's ever wanted and nothing he believes himself capable of actually obtaining.

Jordan has enough going on in his life trying to scrape together a living for himself and his autistic son. When he meets Ian, all he wants is a brief, erotic moment and nothing else.

But fate throws them together again and again, and Ian finds himself determined to do whatever it takes to give their story a happy ending – no matter what secrets Jordan's past has waiting for him.


Review
This was my very first time reading A.F Henley and it most definitely will not be last. I really enjoyed this story featuring an autistic little boy and the combination of music and a sincere main character that all leads to an Allegro.

Ian is hitting up the club even though he knows the night probably won’t end well, yet he's hopeful that maybe he will find true love or something. As expected the night is ending in a bust leaving Ian feeling more miserable than when he arrived. A quick trip to the toilets before heading home turns out to be more than Ian expected when he catches the eye of a hot a young thing. At first there is no way this guy who might be too young for him is interested until Ian pants is around his waist in a bathroom stall. While the sex was hot as hell Ian is looking for more and he wouldn't mind seeing more of his young hottie Jordan, but alas Jordan seems the do and go type of guy and Ian will probably never see him again but not if fate has something to say about it.

Ian still has Jordan on the brain and he knows it’s more than coincidence that they keep running into each other. When he finds out that Jordan has an autistic son Ian is still in it to win it. Getting close to Jordan is difficult but having sex with him poses no problem, it’s just that Ian is starting to feel more for the young man and is determined to help his autistic son Cole. Overtime the characters start to feel a lot for each other but it seems there might be skeletons in Jordan's closet and its more than Ian ever hoped of handling.

I really enjoyed this one a lot, but of course there were thing that irked me but let’s talk about the good for now. I really liked the characters of Jordan and Ian, so much realism and their hurt was just hitting me right in the feels. Jordan's son Cole really touched my heart; the author was on point when writing about his autism. I know firsthand what it’s like when a child has a trigger and it’s hard sometimes to calm them down. It can lead to tears of frustration, panic, and sometimes at a loss. The author captured this beautifully and I was moved to tears and also so very appreciative, it’s clear that research was done and thought was put into to writing Cole's story.

What I didn't like...is Ian's "friend" Aubrey and the return of the ex Madison. I was beyond irked and fist pumped when Ian finally stood up for himself. I have never wanted to pee in characters face as much as I did with Aubrey. Glad the author took the high road with the "hey girlfriend lets go shopping" character and she was cut down to size. The return of the ex was a little pointless and pissed me off, like dude just go away.

I sort of like and dislike how it ended. I feel like Ian's role was so huge in introducing Cole to music and helping him cope and it felt cut down to size by the end. He just didn't get the credit I feel he deserved but that could be because I like him so much. A man who took the time to learn about the man and the boy he loves is a splendid man indeed.

Should You Read It? Yes! I really liked this one, in no way perfect but enjoyable for all its realistic feels and charming characters. My first time reading A.F Henley and it most defi will not be my last (wait… I said that already).

4 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!