Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: Omorphi by C. Kennedy

Omorphi by C. Kennedy
Harmony Ink Press
Novel: 448pgs
2.75 Pants Off

Blurb:
High school senior Michael Sattler leads a charmed life. He’s a star athlete, has great friends, and parents who love him just the way he is. What’s missing from his life is a boyfriend. That’s a problem because he’s out only to his parents and best friend. When Michael accidentally bumps into Christy Castle at school, his life changes in ways he never imagined. Christy is Michael’s dream guy: smart, pretty, and sexy. But nothing could have prepared Michael for what being Christy's boyfriend would entail.

Christy needs to heal after years of abuse and knows he needs help to do it. After the death of his notorious father, he leaves his native Greece and settles in upstate New York. Alone, afraid, and left without a voice, Christy hides the myriad scars of his abuse. He desperately wants to be loved and when he meets Michael, he dares to hope that day has arrived. When one of Michael’s team-mates becomes an enemy and an abuser from Christy’s past seeks to return him to a life of slavery, only Michael and Christy's combined strength and unwavering determination can save them from the violence that threatens to destroy their future together.


Review
I am struggling how to approach this review because the book deals with such a sensitive and hard hitting topic. On one hand it’s easy to believe what was done to MC Christy because lets be real human can be great asshole and we hear about the nasty that can be done to innocent lives. So while Christy's abuse tore at my heart it’s the overall events of this book that I have a problem with.

Michael is believable as the closeted athlete and him falling for the beautiful Christy is quite nice and Christy being equally drawn to Michael. Its apparent from the get go that Christy has a lot to get over but Michael is already half in love and is willing to stick by him. It’s all so sweet already and I was thinking how much I was going to love it just reading about Michael loving Christy and finally making him feel safe. Well...things sort of went downhill for me when crazy starting coming from every side and it turned into a Final Destination (everyone must go) type of thing.

It's like whatever bad thing I was thinking would happen does, and my eye roll numerous came out in full swing. I can believe in a crazy homophobe but not 25 of them (gross exaggeration) and with a car bombing, Christy in flames, dead squirrels in lockers, gun being pulled at a club, near drowning, attack with a bat, death threat phone calls, I was over it. Its either everything was really good or very bad and I could not find a balance.

I'm all about overcoming and empowering characters but all the theatrics took away from me really enjoying this one. My highlights were the interactions between Michael and Christy, their dialogue and Christy's strength made this not totally horrible for me to read. Again, really sensitive and hard hitting content but the crazy that ensues kind of made what happened and what was happening to Christy feel light and I am sure that was not the overall intent.

Should You Read It? I can't really call this one because again I stand as the odd one out with my feelings. Omorphi just did not work for me on a number of levels but it might be the book for you (to each his/her own).

SideNote: I am a fan of a boy that dresses up and plays with gender that wins everytime.


DarienMoya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!