Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: It's All Geek to me by JL Merrow

It's All Geek to Me by JL Merrow
Riptide Publishing
Short Story: 51pgs
3 Pants Off

Blurb:
Jez is on a mission of mercy: to replace a tragically deceased comic book for his injured best mate, Tel. Venturing into the Hidden Asteroid bookstore in London—the temple of geekdom itself—Jez is bowled over by the guy behind the counter.

Rhys is the poster boy for hot geeks: tall, gorgeous, and totally cool. Jez is desperate to impress him, so he bluffs his way through comic book jargon . . . and then dashes back to the hospital to beg Tel to teach him how to speak Geek.

Tel’s happy to oblige, and Jez is over the moon when Rhys asks him out. He’s even more thrilled when they discover a shared love of rugby, something he won’t have to fake for Rhys. The question is, how long can Jez keep up the deception, and what will happen when Rhys realizes he’s going out with a Fake Geek Guy?

Review
Jex is about to show what true friendship is all about when he has to get in touch with his geek side. His friend Tel was injured and so was his coveted latest edition comic book but unlike Tel the comic is caput. In order to ease his suffering Jex decides to step out of his comfort and agree to go pick up another copy. He's much rather be doing other things, but what are best mates for?

What Jex never expected was the sexy employee Rhys and suddenly he's wishing he had more of a geek status to impress this sexy looking man. He's got to think quickly on his feet and muster up the most enthusiasm because he isn’t too proud to fake, fake geek that is. Now he needs Tel to teach him the talk of the geeks so he can go back and woo the pants off Rhys. Too bad he's having a a hard time keeping his geek straight but landing a date with Rhys is totally worth the fibs.

What Jez doesn't understand is "be yourself, you must" and his relationship begins with a lie, but owning up could cost him Rhys and that’s the scariest of parts. What Jez doesn't know is that Rhys has a secret of his own and judging by his glaring very pregnant sister Jez is thinking that it doesn't bode well for him. Alas, he did try to kick it on the geek side.

Alright, I did like this book and Jex and Rhys were interesting enough but my overall feel is unsatisfied. Like I was expecting some epic shit, cus after all it’s JL Merrow and this author never fails me. Mostly I felt like the characters talked around me and then the book just ended. I have to say I was a bit disappointed because it finally felt like the story was starting and then it ended. Yep, disa.ppoint.ed. Sad feels!

Don't get me wrong, by no means is this a horrible story, Merrow brings her unequal wit and prose charm, and of course humour but it was hard to get it all sorted for me. I hate to say that the story needed more but it really did and the geek aspect (don't even get me started). Also Jez reminded me too much of other characters, spazzy and all over place. I went in reading with a clear picture in my head and got something else entirely and not all good.

3 Pants Off
DarienMoya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!