Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Review: Absinthe of Malice by Rhys Ford

Absinthe of Malice (Sinners #5) by Rhys Ford
Dreamspinner Press, Goodreads, Amazon
Novel: 200pgs
3.5 Pants Off

Blurb: We’re getting the band back together.

Those six words send a chill down Miki St. John’s spine, especially when they’re spoken with a nearly religious fervor by his brother-in-all-but-blood, Damien Mitchell. However, those words were nothing compared to what Damien says next.

And we’re going on tour.

When Crossroads Gin hits the road, Damien hopes it will draw them closer together. There’s something magical about being on tour, especially when traveling in a van with no roadies, managers, or lovers to act as a buffer. The band is already close, but Damien knows they can be more—brothers of sorts, bound not only by familial ties but by their intense love for music.

As they travel from gig to gig, the band is haunted by past mistakes and personal demons, but they forge on. For Miki, Damie, Forest, and Rafe, the stage is where they all truly come alive, and the music they play is as important to them as the air they breathe.

But those demons and troubles won’t leave them alone, and with every mile under their belts, the band faces its greatest challenge—overcoming their deepest flaws and not killing one another along the way.

Review

A STORY WAS ABSINTHE

So the 5th book in the Sinners series and like the 4th book I didn’t like it a hell of a lot. While I understand the reason for this book because of course it’s the setup to the finale. There was just a whole lot of nothing IMO. 

The band is back on. Made up of the lovers of the Morgan family Miki St John and Damien decide to put the old band back together. No longer Sinners Gin but Crossroads Gin And their tour is one of rebirth and moving forward. Too bad the past won’t stay dead and someone is dead set on hindering their future. 

What I like: I loved getting glimpses into the lives of the boys and their significant others. Life on the road can be tough and so I just really enjoyed seeing their vulnerability and the strong sense of family they all have.  

A realistic approach to their issues. Especially dealing with Miki and Rafe, it was great to see them face their problems head on and finally start asking for help. Miki has been a head case since the beginning of time and I for one am hella happy he’s realizing that his thought process is a tad bit unhealthy.  

Throw in the mystery, the crazy that comes with most Rhys Ford book, and some steamy scenes and you have a nicely balanced book. 

I’d like to make this Public Service Announcement…I live for Forest and Connor. They have captured my heart and their book is my fave, Connor is my fave Morgan and I need an invite to the wedding.  

What I didn’t like: How easily I know that things will go boom. For once I’d like to be surprised and things don’t go the expected OTT route.  

I feel like a whole lot of nothing happened until the very end here and then I was excited again. I am looking forward to the final book in the series and I already know it’s going to go down. I’m gonna need everything wrapped up in a neat little bow, and for Miki to get his basket of a mind weaved a little tighter.  

Overall, another entertaining read which was just a nice little glimpse into the lives of the men we’ve grown to love.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!