Thursday, February 2, 2012

Kidnapped by Megan Derr


Kidnapped by Megan Derr
Less Than Three Press
Novel: 197pages
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Blurb:
Infinitum Government Code 3.18.21.512: Genetic Experimentation Shall Be Strictly Forbidden

No job is more arduous than that of Rehab Guard—those appointed to guard the many and varied prisoners within the Infinitum Government, the ruling power of a vast interplanetary alliance. To be a Rehab Guard requires very specific qualifications and years of specialized training. It is brutal, dangerous, and often thankless job—and there is nowhere else Sean would rather be. It keeps him safe, his deadly secret safely buried, and gives him a life as close to normal as he will ever come.

Until the day new prisoner arrives, a genetically-engineered Draconis with the ability to ‘match’ to a suitable magics-capable individual and boost his power. Convicted of murder, he is sentenced to Rehab for life, and no one has ever escaped from Rehab. But no one counted on the prisoner matching with Sean, who as a human should not be capable of magics…

Review:
I don’t read much ScienceFiction in the M/M genre, not because there is a lack of it; but because it’snever my first choice when it comes to reading. When I started Kidnapped I had no idea what to expect. The blurb had me thinking of a different plot in my head.I thought it was gonna be about a man who falls in love with his captor, becausethey have a bond and that bond cannot be denied. I have to say that Ms Derrblew all my fancy dreaming out of the water *and fancy dreaming it was*.

Kidnapped is the first bookin a series that I find highly complex, and I think that has to do with all theinformation in the story. Though it was really slow for me in the beginning,and there was a substantial amount of info pile-up (though that could just be all me). It picked up quite nicely.

Sean is a Rehab guard apartof the Infinitum Government (there powers know no bounds). To be a rehab guardyou have to be the best of the best because they deal with the most dangerousof beings. Being rehab is all Sean loves, and with one prisoner all that comescrumbling. It seems the new prisoner is a Draconis being brought in on murdercharges, and the shit is about to hit the proverbial fan because Sean is his match.

What is a Draconis you ask?Well they are genetically engineered species whose sole purpose was to givepower to who they matched with. So now Sean and his match share some prettyamazing magic, teleportation and healing. Now Sean and his Draconis Mendel arefugitives who are on mission to save the Draconis race (if I talk about that this review will never end).

This story contains manycharacters with so many different plot lines. As I said really slow for me inthe beginning, but it picks up with mystery and entertaining characters. It’slike a plethora of information which at often times was somewhat overwhelming,but the author keeps it flowing well and every scene developed to its full potential.

What I really liked is thatbeing matched/bonded doesn’t mean that a romantic relationship will be formed. Thisis somewhat unusual because whenever bonds are formed in books, it always leadto sex and happy ever after, well not here. There is sex, but it’s a developmentstory so all that lovey dovey played a huge second.

Overall, I really liked it. Ilook forward to reading the second book because all the Draconis drama is farfrom over.There is also a very pretty villain who is quite crazy but so very pretty. I am super interested and will be reading the sequel Meant to Be.

3 1/2 Pants Off



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!