Thursday, September 6, 2012

Review: A Brown Eyed Handsome Man

A Brown Eyed Handsome Man by D.C Juris
Torquere Press
Short Story: 25pgs
4 Pants Off

Blurb:
Angela has put her dreams of living an out and proud life as a transgender man on hold because of her husband, who can't understand. But a chance encounter at a bar changes everything. Rocky sees Drake for the brown eyed handsome man he is, not the plumbing between his legs. Can Rocky convince Angela to let go of her fears and embrace life as Drake?







Review:
A Brown Eyed Handsome Man is a very good transgender story, which really hit on all my good marks. I was spellbound by the main protagonist Drake, who had me feeling all his pain and frustration. I wanted to wrap him a hug and give him love (but don't worry he gets some).

It really is very short, and is a very character driven story. It provides just a short look into Drake’s life and him trying to find a balance, and really come to accept that how he feels on the inside he wants the world to see on the outside. The plot is thickened when Drake has to go back to his ‘real’ life; he then becomes Angela a married woman trying to convey all her emotions to husband who just won’t listen.

I think the husband really added a realistic look at both the characters struggles. The husband acceptance in knowing that he will be gay when Angela takes the steps to become Drake. There is no but she will still be a woman; there is just the acceptance that he is not a gay man.

I think if this story were longer, it would have definitely been a top rated read. It was also my first time reading DC Juris and it will not be last. There was a nice fluidity to the writing, and it really engaged me. I think all the emotions the author wanted to be felt off the pages, I felt them. I definitely recommend.


4 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!