Friday, January 24, 2014

Review: Where You Lead by Mary Calmes

Reviewed by Fehu
Where You Lead by Mary Calmes
Dreamspinner Press
Short Story: 68pgs
3.5 Pants Off

Blurb:
ATF agent Peter Lomax isn’t a hearts and flowers kind of guy, but he can be possessive, and it caused problems until Carver Fleming. Carver may be part of the art world, but he gets Peter, loves belonging to the man, and Peter treasures the way Carver understands them together.

Carver loves Peter, but he's fully aware that six months doth not a commitment make. Carver wants to make the relationship last forever, but he’ll have to leave their life in Chicago to take care of the family he loves. He wants to do it with Peter by his side, but going from the city of Chicago to tiny Colt, Kentucky is a big change.

Carver has only one Christmas wish: Please, oh please, let Peter fall enough in love with Carver's family to follow Carver home.

Review
It's certainly not a book that will leave you uninvolved. I've read some, was mad, put it down, wanted to know how Peter will react, started reading again, was annoyed and stared at the book in disbelief.

Let's say it is an emotional read as in I was quite invested into the story. I didn't believe the story, but I was pretty involved in the plot, but it was over too fast so I was left a bit dissatisfied. Also there were quite a few problems and I felt they were solved without a lot of effort. The time frame was just unbelievable. Pete and Carver knew each other for 6 months. Feel with me and say it out loud s i x months. So of course Pete would agree to leave his friends and his home and his work to move into a small town, where e v e r y o n e is ok with a gay couple. You can understand my suspended disbelief. All of this would probably bother me less in a paranormal setting, but here there is no explanation of a soul bound or life mates!

I expected sweet, and some parts were, the dialog between Peter and his partner on the force was pretty good and I laughed, when they talked about the art. The beginning pretty much seduced me into the story, some dialogs did not flow and the relationship and story progressed too fast, at least for me.

At the end I was torn as how to rate this story, since I liked the first part very much, but the second part felt rushed and a bit disjointed.

3 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!