Saturday, June 30, 2012

Saturday Shout-Out: Cinder by Marie Sexton




Cinder by Marie Sexton

Shouting-Out Marie Sexton,

I don’t know why I was so disappointed in this short. I guess I had a high expectation in the reading of it, because the author always delivers quality work.

An M/M spin on the classic fairytale Cinderella, where Cinder is the maid slave boy for his aunt and cousins after the death of his parents. When he meets the prince on a day out fishing, they instantly strike up a friendship and Cinder starts to fall in love. Downside, the prince has to find himself a wife by his birthday or lose his title and inheritance.

With the help of an old witch, Cinder is transformed into a woman, and sets out to see his prince for the last time. The set up is very close to the original fairytale, where Cinder loses a shoe and the prince has to find the owner of the shoe. The owner comes with a few surprises but with Cinder still in the mix.

I liked the story and I found it cute, but I guess I was expecting too much. I think it followed too closely to Cinderella. I would have liked if Cinder had went in there as a dashing male and charmed the pants right off of Xavier. I don’t like that he had to become a woman.

I wanted more humiliation for his aunt and cousins. I am a revenge kind of girl and they didn’t get what they deserved.

I did enjoy the build up friendship between Cinder and Xavier; there was an equality there that I really enjoyed.

So Ms Sexton this shout-out is for you. I liked this little offering but didn’t love it. 

3 Pants Off

1 comment:

Go ahead and talk to me!