Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: Black Hurricane by Erica Pike

Black Hurricane (Boston Boys #3) by Erica Pike
MLR Press
Novel: 259pgs
4 Pants Off

Blurb:
Twenty-three year old Jasper Jones fell in love with Dean McQueen at fourteen, but after a disastrous relationship, Jazz would like nothing better than to see the rock star choke on his own vomit.

After a catastrophic reunion, Dean seems bent on destroying Jazz’s life. It all started when an impromptu bar performance ended up on YouTube and Jazz became an internet sensation overnight. The name “Jazdean” keeps popping up in headlines and the paparazzi stalk his every move. To make matters worse, Jazz is about to end up on the streets for the second time in his life.

In a desperate attempt to keep his home, Jazz signs a deal with Dean’s band, Black Hurricane, to perform at a couple of concerts. It feels like one of Dean’s feeble attempts to get Jazz back, but painted into a corner like he is, Jazz has no choice.

Note: Can be read as a standalone


Review
I am a huge fan of the Boston boys after reading A Life Without You by Erica Pike and that was the book that made me fall in love with the author. So yeh really excited to read Black Hurricane because Jazz has been an amazing sexy character throughout the series and I just was so ready for his HEA. While Black Hurricane is absurdly entertaining I was still disappointed with the overall story and I did not love it as much as I had hoped.

Jasper *Jazz* Jones is single, hot, and has an amazing group of friends. Yes, life is little challenging with making a steady income and keeping his home but he's willing to put in the hard work. When his friend Eric offers a serious amount of cash to take some pics Jasper jumps at the opportunity but he's regretting his decision because that would mean he gets to see Dean McQueen after many years. Dean is the leader of the wildly successful rock group Black hurricane he's also an asshole who broke Jazz's heart back in high-school. Sucks cus he's still sexy as fuck and Jazz just wants someone to ruin that smug face. Jazz his hoping that Dean doesn't recognize him and he doesn't but he's hell bent on getting Jazz into his bed. When Dean shows up at Jazz's place of work his cover his blown and Dean finds out exactly who he is.

Now it becomes a game of cat and mouse with Dean going after his prey and Jazz hell bent on never getting sucked back in. He knows staying away from Dean is the best course of action, too bad Dean can't take a hint and his financial dreams get answered when he's offered to join Black Hurricane on a few charity concerts. Old hurts and old love collides which causes tense filled rehearsals and a sexually charged atmosphere. Now Jazz must listen to his heart or walk away from Dean forever.

Alright, this book confused me in the very beginning. Like Jazz goes to take the pictures of Black Hurricane but comes off like he didn't know Dean was in the band all along and was all surprised then the story moves into like he did know it all along. Maybe I missed something but that was the impression I got. I'm also starting to find the characters a bit superficial which surprises judging from how the series started to where the characters are at now. A Life Without You had so much substance, the characters were so rich and I wanted to know everything about them. Now, I feel like I don't want to know them because I might end up disappointed. There clouded in parties, glitter, and fucking and that’s all I'm seeing.

Yet, the story was still very entertaining and while I'm all types of confused to what happened with such a promising series I am still kinda in love with them. I like Jazz as character but I used to love him and as for Dean he gets a bad rap in this book. I would have liked more from his POV because he's been through some things and it was just too much about poor ole Jazz.

Should You Read It? It’s still a yes for me, and while the last two books doesn't compare to the first in the series they are fun to read. So I still enjoy Erica Pike and I still am looking forward to the other characters story.


4 Pants Off
Review: Book #1 A Life Without You
Review: Book #2 Absolutely Eric

DarienMoya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!