Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Between Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Novel
Contemporary/Religious
5 out of 5
3.5/5 PL Scale
Levi Binder is a Miami bartender who cares about only two things: sex and surfing. Ostracized by his Mormon family for his homosexuality, Levi is determined to live his life his own way, but everything changes when he meets massage therapist Jaime Marshall.

Jaime is used to being alone. Haunted by the horrors of his past, his only friend is his faithful dog, Dolly. He has no idea how to handle somebody as gorgeous and vibrant as Levi.

Complete opposites on the surface, Levi and Jaime both long for something that they can only find together. Through love and the therapeutic power of touch, they’ll find a way to heal each other, and they’ll learn to live as sinners in a family of saints.
Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book. Marie Sexton is a wonderful author, and I have yet to be disappointed by any of her books. Between Sinners and Saints addresses some deep issues, which the author managed splendidly. Always a hot topic when dealing with homosexuality and religion, as a reader and a human being I have some opinions on it. Something I would rather not tackle at this moment.


What really bothered me in this book, were Levi’s parents. As a mother myself, I found it hard to read how his parents and family treated him. I always tell everyone around me, that there are worse things my sons could be, and being gay is not one of them. It was just somewhat disgusting to read about them in this book. Really irked me!


However, I really loved the book. I loved Jaime and his courage to overcome what was done to him. When a child innocence is taken away from a young age, it’s hard to come back from that. Miss Sexton handled it beautifully; Jaime was believable in all his struggles. Levi though a playboy at the beginning of the book, he grows into a wonderful character.

I recommend this book if you are looking for a deeply satisfying read, about love overcoming all odds. This book is definitely not about sex, it plays a role; yes. However, it’s less important than the overall plot. I enjoyed reading this book so much, and devoured it within a day.

Recommends:
Promises (Coda Books, #1) by Marie Sexton
Dreamspinner Press

6 books in the Series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!