Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Forester

The Forester by Blaine D. Arden
Storm Moon Press
Short Novella: 50pages
4.5 out of 5

Blurb:
Kelnaht, a cloud elf, is a truth seeker caught between love and faith. Worse, a murder committed ten days before Solstice reveals an illicit affair between two tree elves he desires more than he can admit: Kelnaht's former lover Ianys, who once betrayed him, and the shunned forester named Taruif, who is not allowed to talk to anyone but The Guide, their spiritual pathfinder. When Taruif turns out to be the only witness for the crime, Kelnaht has to keep Ianys from sacrificing himself and losing his daughter, while at the same time realising he'd gladly sacrifice himself to end Taruif's loneliness.

Review: 
I am in love with this little novella; I never expected the amount of awesmazingness that was packed into such a short story. I just want to type ‘go read this freaking story’ but it’s a review after all and I believe there needs to be a little more substance to it .

The Forester is a great fantasy story, meets mystery and the sexy. Kelnaht is a Truth Seeker, which means it’s his job to gather evidence and find the answers to a crime when it is committed. When a murder is committed in the forest to a young girl, it’s up to Kelnaht to find out the murderer and bring him/her to justice. While trying to find the answers to a murder, Kelnaht also finds the truth to himself, though the answers are not always easy.

Though the mystery of murder and magic is very intriguing within the story. It’s the relationship between Ianys (Kelnahts’s ex-lover) and Taruif (The forester) that holds attention. Taruif is a forest elf that was banished, so he is there but no one is allowed to acknowledge him. To even utter his name would be a great offence.  Kelnaht finds himself wanting the man, and feels betrayed when he finds out that the ex-lover who did not give up anything for him is willing to risk everything for Taruif. Talk about a slap in the face, and to make it a bit more complicated Kelnaht finds himself wanting both men. One is forbidden, and the other has made choices/promises that make their future very bleak. It’s a complicated and beautiful love!

The murder mystery is solved in a form that I thoroughly enjoyed; it even pulled at my heartstrings. Again its the elves that steal the show. Kelnaht, Taruif and Ianys will have you spellbound. Its more than a ménage, these three men belong together. There is no rhyme or reason, it just is. I absolutely adored that about the writing. The question here is, will it work when the odds are against them? Or will Kelnaht forever watch from a distnace? I found myself wanting to cry Kelnaht, because it just felt like someone should.

I really am in love with this story, and I cursed all things when I realized ‘shit, its only fecking 50 pages. What the hell am I gonna do now’. I want more of these gorgeous elves. I want the naked time, but I also want to see how their relationship will evolve. Blaine D. Arden has stolen a piece of my heart with this story, and she can keep it… if she writes more about this magical and awesmazing little world she created.


SideNote- Bask in the glory of that beautiful cover, and enjoy the splendor that is peeping-tom Kelnaht (actual scene from book).


4 1/2 Pants Off

*book provided by publisher*

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful review, Darien.
    I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome Blaine. Loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!