Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review: Lashings of Sauce Anthology

Lashing of Sauce by Various Authors
JMS Books
Novella: 138pgs
4.5 Pants Off (Overall)

Blurb:
We Brits love our sauce, whether it's what we lash on our food, read on our seaside postcards, or write in our stories. Come and enjoy a buffet of tasty LGBTQ treats!

From marriages to reunions, via practical jokes and football matches, to weresloths and possibly the oddest Tarts and Vicars party in the world, join us as we celebrate the UK Meet in the best way we know: telling the story.

As a follow-up to the critically acclaimed British Flash and Tea and Crumpet anthologies, our talented writers bring you sixteen stories about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and genderqueer characters enjoying what Britain and mainland Europe have to offer, with their wonderfully diverse range of cultures and landscapes and some incredibly colourful and quirky people.

This anthology is a souvenir of the 2012 UK Meet, an occasion for GLBTQ supporters to get together in a relaxed setting to celebrate and chat about the fiction community they love. Funds from the sale of this anthology will go towards future UK Meets, to which all are welcome.


Review:
The Lashings of Sauce anthology is a must read with a story for just about anyone. You want some sweet/sexy, some angst, a tearjerker, or something to put a big ole smile on your face? Well this book has it all. I love it because it offers up everything that falls under the rainbow. It’s great to see a positive representation of all sexuality, a positive look at gender, and most of all the importance of love.

I won’t spend the time talking about each of the stories, because all were good. Some better than others, but each story offered up a nice little read. You might be excited for a pants losing by some of your faves author, but the new to me/you aren’t chopped liver. They all delivered, and man I wish I was going to Brighton, so I could be apart of all the talent.

I just really want to express my love for one story in particular, and that is My Husband by Zahra Owens. This story moved me beyond words and left me in tears. All I kept thinking was “I want a love like this. I wish everyone loved like this”. It’s a beautiful Trans* story with such a beautiful message.

This was also my first time reading a story by Jordan Castillo Price 'hangs head in shame' and by the power invested in me it will not be my last. Really, such a great anthology!!

  • Post Mortem by Jordan Castillo Price- Really liked this one, and such a great use of the Postal service :D
  •  Dressing Down by Clare London- Gawd! So incredibly sexy, I just love when a man donnes a sexy skirt.
  •  Et Tu, Fishies? by JL Merrow- JL always brings the funny, and this was funny.
  • Zones by Elyan Smith- So much angst, and hauntingly sad. I enjoyed it!
  • Sollicito by Charlie Cochrane- Hahaha a Were-Sloth O_o and I did look it up on Wikipedia
  •  A Few Days Away by Elin Gregory - Cute
  •  Vidi Velo Vici by Robbie Whyte- So cute.
  • Shelter From Storms by Sandra Lindsey- A good historical story.
  • Faulty Genes by Rebecca Cohen- 
  •  Lost in London by Tam Ames- Cute story and one of my faves. 
  •  My Husband by Zahra Owens- The Best!!
  • Waiting for a Spark by Lillian Francis- Cute, and loved Tomak.
  •  Social Whirl by Emily Moreton-Good F/F story
  •  School for Doms by Anne Brooke - Sexy!!
  •  Dragon Dance by Josephine Myles- Always a pants losing with Jo
  •  Reclaiming Territory by Becky Black- Cute story about lovers reuniting. 
4.5 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!