Thursday, December 5, 2013

Review: Prodigal Wolf by LE Franks & Sara York

Reviewed by Whuppsy
Prodigal Wolf (Wolves and Waves #1) by LE Franks & Sara York
MLR Press
Novel: 199pgs
2 Pants Off

Blurb:
Carlo has a problem, after years away he's finally returned to his South Carolina roots - but instead of peace and quiet all he's found are nosy wolves, romancing twinks, an out of control roommate threatening to expose them all, and a demanding Alpha who just won't go away.

All his Alpha wants is to show Carlo who he really is, and where he belongs. But Carlo Montefiore is a man fighting his instincts, memories, and responsibilities. His beachside home was supposed to provide sanctuary, but pack politics, unruly roommates, and human neighbors at risk of discovering that shifters exist, are making life anything but peaceful. Twinks Kevin and Grady have their own problems. Two college freshmen are no match for a couple of hot wolves who like to play chase. If they don't stop playing games they'll miss the biggest thing to happen in their young lives---love.


Review
Carlo Montefiore comes home to South Carolina after being gone for four years of college. The problem is that when he left, he felt betrayed from the one whom he cared about the most, Angelo. Carlo’s father had passed away and Angelo took the reins of the Pack when Carlo was too young to take the reins. Angelo gave the reign to Carlo when he had to go into the military. He comes back and sends Carlo off to college as that was Constantine’s, Carlos’ father’s wish. Carlo didn’t’ want to go and he left hurt and angry. During his four years of college, he didn’t come home or spend any time with the Pack members who went to see him.

His 25th birthday is approaching and it’s now time for him to take back control of the Pack and become the Alpha that he’s been born to be. The problem, Carlo is still upset about what happened and even though he’s come home, he wants nothing to do with the Pack Leadership even though a Montefiore has always been Pack Alpha.

I can’t really tell you much about the story because; this is just a big ol’ jumble. There were sooo many characters being thrown into this story that I couldn’t even tell you what really is going on. I get that the authors wanted to get you excited about the new series, Wolves and Waves, but really this fell way short.

I tried to understand Carlo. I mean, I could understand to a point where he was coming from, but there was so much that was implied and not given. Again, to get you excited about reading the series, but really it was so very vague that I couldn’t even fathom what’s going on in his head. There was so much miscommunication and outright evasions. Still brooding over the past and not making an effort to get answers or even talk about it. He runs and evades even speaking to Angelo.

I get where Angelo was coming from, he was fulfilling the request of the man whom he loved and respected. He knows that Carlo is his mate, but won’t force the issue. He just wants to do the right thing, by everyone. Angelo I liked as I understood him. He was a developed character.

There were Carlos’ roommates, Joey and Ted, Joey who grew up with Carlo and Ted who met Carlo in California. Ted who has secrets of his own, that again they were vague about. Ted and Joey, I understood and liked. Kevin and Grady, the human twinks on vacation in the house next door. I even understood their characters; I’m just not sure why they were there. They actually didn’t bring anything to the plot.

Now, I will say that this was a sexy read. Kevin, Grady, Ted, Joey, Kevin and even Carlo got in on some action. That was fun. I’m all about some good sex and good sex with a plot is a plus.

If you want a confusing book that will keep you off your game, this is the book for you. It ended in a cliffhanger that I hope will be answered in the following books. I hope that the author’s next venture in this series will focus more on main characters. I don’t mind getting to know more than the two main characters, but I’d like to be able to at least connect with them in some way. I didn’t feel connected to anyone really.

I am cautiously hoping that the next book and those following will be better. I hope that they develop the characters and bring more of what the plot is and not be so angsty. I’d like to see where they are going with this series. I am intrigued enough to even want to read the next book. I want to see what happens. I’m funny that way. I am ever hopeful that the authors can bring this together and give their fans what they want a great story where we can connect to the characters that we’re reading. That we want and HEA for the main characters, that they are more focused and less giving all over the place. That’s what readers want. I truly hope that they give that to us. I want that. I want to read the next book and be drawn into the story and be sad when it’s over. I didn’t feel much for this one just confused.

2 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!