Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: Pretty Poison by Kari Gregg

Reviewed by Whuppsy
Pretty Posion by Kari Gregg
Self-Published
Novel: 153pgs
3 Pants Off

Blurb:
Deadly poison…or exquisite cure?

Noah fell from an eighth story balcony as a toddler, cracking open his skull and shattering his body. The accident would’ve killed a human, but even shifter blood can’t heal some damage. After the pack recommended a mercy killing, Noah’s family ran. But there’s no outrunning the mating pact formed before Noah’s birth.

Wade, the new alpha, chooses an adult Noah to fulfill the pact. Wade believes the previous alpha was a fool to reject Noah as a weak and inferior wolf, but Noah’s family was wrong to hide him and starve his wolf, too. Human doctors with human medicines are poison to shifter physiology. Now that Noah is fully grown, halting his shift to retain the pins, plates, and bars holding him together hurts rather than helps him, and for Wade, more than Noah’s recovery is at stake.

Noah’s family sacrificed everything to keep him alive. Noah will do whatever it takes to save them—including mate with the alpha who is determined to correct past mistakes and defeat old prejudices contaminating the shifter community.

Too bad some still believe Noah is the true poison…and should be culled from the pack for good.

Review
You meet Noah as an adult who lives on a farm with his family. They are exiled shifters because when Noah was young he fell out a window and hurt his body. Some of the shifters that they lived with thought that Noah should be put down because he was broken. His family took him and ran. He grew up and even though he felt like a burden, he was so very loved.

One day he’s called to the living room and there is the new alpha, Wade. Wade was there to fulfill a mating contract from Noah’s family. Since his sister, who was actually supposed to fulfill the contract married a human, Wade took Noah instead.

I will say that as this book seemed to be from Noah’s perspective, I could understand his apprehension regarding Wade coming in and taking him from his family. To not getting the meds that he’d taken for so long and not being told anything. I totally understood where he was coming from.

Now, Wade on the other hand didn’t really come across as the most gentle, loving partner in the world at the beginning. His behavior toward Noah concerned me and I wondered why he would pick Noah. It wasn’t explained until more than mid-way through the story. That bothered me some as I didn’t really warm up to him.

The MC’s actually had some growth during the story which helped the story flow along. I liked how there was no easy fix for Noah. That his injuries were so severe, that him allowing his wolf to come out and actually BE..helped him. But it didn’t cure him totally. That he would have some issues the rest of his life. I liked the realism in that. I liked that they characters had flaws and were real. That Wade wasn’t the straight forward honest guy, but that there was a motive behind his mating with Noah.

I will say that I also liked that as the time went on, they grew to care and then love each other. It wasn’t what was planned, but sometimes life is like that. I liked that it wasn’t that insta-love. They actually had to get to know each other. Yes, there was that mating bond thing, but there had to be more than that and that did occur.

Overall, I will say that this was a nice, easy read. No real big angsty things happening. There was minimal conflict that was somewhat resolved by the end. I will say that I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the MPREG. I have such a soft spot for those. I kinda wanted to see how his pregnancy went, but alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

3 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!