Friday, January 6, 2012

Talker by Amy Lane

Talker (Talker #1) by Amy Lane
Dreamspinner Press
Short Novella: 96pages
4 out of 5

Blurb:
Tate "Talker" Walker has spent most of his life hiding his scars under a bright punk facade, and until he sat next to Brian Cooper on a bus, it worked. But Brian has spent his whole life being the invisible man, and he's used to looking below the surface. What he sees in Talker is a fragile and lovable human being.

Brian is outwardly straight, but Talker is desperate for love, and when Talker's behavior leads to some painful consequences, Brian is forced to come out of his closet—in dramatic fashion. He'll do anything to make sure Talker sees that he's the Prince Charming Talker has always needed.


Review:
I really enjoyed this short, but lovely story. It offers up great conflict and a character that is sure to break your heart. I was just blown away by the many messages offered in this story. It can be interpreted many ways by each individual reader, for it brought back memories of being close to someone who never saw through, she is my friend and that’s all there is. I wish; I had the guts Brian had to make Tate *Talker* finally see him.

Tate aka Talker is covered in tattoos from his face down to his arms, all people see is the punk persona, and that Talker is gay and never hides it. Even through all his “I don’t give a fuck” attitude, there is a boy who is hurting and no one can see that. He is far from shy and will talk your ears off, hence the nickname. Talker is alone even with his very friendly attitude that is until he meets Brian.

Brian is our third person narrator, and it’s through his POV that we come to understand Talker. He never expected to fall in love with the chatterbox who sat beside him on the bus. It takes awhile for him to figure it out, and help is offered up by the most unlikely person.

This story is a rollercoaster of emotions, and it really pulled at my heartstrings. It’s sometimes hard to see true love when it’s staring you right in the face, and Talker makes some really bad decisions. He is so oblivious to Brian’s feelings.

The title is so clear; Tate is talker, not a listener or someone who pays attention. If only he had stopped to do both those things, and paid attention to Brian, things would have been easier. Therefore, Brian had to go and say “look at me, see me, listen to me”. It was quite intense, I never expected it to be and I was truly impressed.

There is still room to grow for both characters and would be excited to see them again.



*Read in 2011 first posted on Goodreads*


1 comment:

  1. This one's been in my TBR pile for a long time. I'm pretty sure I will like it because I love Amy Lane. Maybe I'll move it up to "currently reading" status.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!